My absolute favourite salad bowl of all time is this guy right here! There are so many different flavours and textures I can’t get enough.
Out of my entire family my brother and I are all for healthy alternatives but as for the rest of my family its a hard crowd to sway when it comes to healthy alternatives and this even had them taking a second look! After many years of the standard Italian lunch, panino with prosciutto and salami (Italian’s know what I’m talking about), I convinced my dad to try bringing salad bowls. Now, I’m not going to give all the credit to this salad bowl but I think it was a home run that opened him up to the idea.
How many of us love to preach about eating healthy and all the benefits, so we try to get our whole family and friends on board, only to fail when we present them with a dark green all veggie sparalina smoothie? Don’t get me wrong I would LOVE a veggie smoothie, and have one on the regular but what we need to remember is that when we started, we didn’t start with an all green smoothie. We started with a little change which led us to explore more as we changed our taste buds, and learned all the numerous benefits. So why would we expect anything else from someone else?! Believe me when I say I have been queen of trying to get everyone to try the green smoothie. Finally it dawned on me, I decided I had to start small, and that’s how this creation came about!
What makes this Mediterranean Salad bowl so amazing:
- Veggie Glore: Each meal you eat, look at your plate, do the veggies make up atleast 50% of your plate? Yes, then high five for you! No, then load up some more veggies on there and high five for you also! I don’t care what diet you follow everyone can agree on that veggies are boss!
- Healthy omega 6: A lot of focus these days is on omega 3, which is very important but so is omega 6. Omega 6 has been in the shadows over the years because our standard American diet has been known to have a lot of omega 6 and needs to be balanced with omega 3. But the problem with this is that we have disregarded the quality of our omega 6 intake. When our intake is from vegetable oils that have been oxidized I don’t care how in balance to your omega 3 it is, it will not benefit you! Quality needs to be considered. Olive oil and walnuts are great sources of this healthy, high quality omega 6 that is much needed. The beauty of focusing on quality products is that they will eventually replace the not so high quality products. This will naturally happen without much thought, and you will feel better for it.
I typically focus on lunches when creating recipes because I love to take healthy food that looks good and tastes delicious so I’m not tempted to go buy food. that being said this would be an awesome salad to serve when you are having people over, it will most definitely knock their socks off!
- 4 cups arugula
- ½ avocado, cubed
- ¼ cup roasted peppers
- ¼ cup eggplant
- ¼ zuchini
- ¼ cup pesto millet
- 1 tbsp walnuts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 oz grassfed steak
- For the dressing
- ¼ cup Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
- ¼ lemon juiced
- Slice you red peppers, eggplant, zucchini and chicken
- Brush on some olive oil to coat the sliced veggies, and steak
- Place on a hot grill. Flip the veggies after 2 minutes, and cook another 2 minutes. Let the beef cook for 2 minutes on each side, or until cooked to your preference.
- In the meantime whisk together the pesto and lemon juice to make you dressing. If the consistency is too thick use 2 tsp of water or olive oil to thin it out.
- Assemble your salad bowl by placing your arugula as your base and then topping it with all the ingredients, and lastly drizzling on the pesto-lemon dressing.