There all comes a time in our life where we have very ripe bananas and need something to make with them! So when life gives you ripe bananas make Banana Muffins!!
These delicious muffins are quick to make, and a great snack option. There are no additional sweeteners added to the recipe, as the ripe bananas and chocolate chips hit the spot. These are great treats because they contain some nutrient dense ingredients.
Coconut flour has so many benefits:
- Coconut flour is gluten free
- Coconut flour aids in metabolism because it contains healthy fats in the form of medium chain fatty acids, which the body uses for energy.
- 61% of the coconut meat is fiber; That means a healthy gut for you! 1 cup of coconut flour contains 80 gram of dietary fiber, and each of these muffins contain 7 grams.
- Coconut flour is a great substitute for other flours because it has a low glycemic load. What that means is it does not spike blood sugar levels. By eating foods with a low glycemic load you are better able to stabilize blood sugar.
Maca root benefits:
- Maca is a fertility superfood. It’s been shown to help control estrogen levels and increase sexual libido in women. In men, maca has been shown to improve sperm mobility and production.
- Maca acts as an antioxidant and boosts levels of our master antioxidant glutathione. This is a great contributor to improving your immune system.
- Maca improves glucose tolerance. By decreasing glucose levels in the blood helping us to balance blood sugar.
Hope you enjoy the video:
Makes: 6 muffins
- 1/2 cup of Coconut flour
- 2 tbsp of raw cacao
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 2 tsp of maca powder
- 2 ripe bananas
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup of chocolate chips (I used the Enjoy Life Mage Chunks)**
- 1/2 cup of Coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract (or 1/2 vanilla bean finely minced)
- 1/2 tsp of Himalayan salt
- Preheat oven at 350F.
- In a bowl, mix all dry ingredients: coconut flour, raw cacao, baking powder, maca powder, and salt.
- Peel and mash the two bananas.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs. Once the eggs are whisked, add in the remaining wet ingredients: mashed bananas, coconut oil (preferable melted to avoid chunks), and vanilla. Whisk all the ingredients together, until combined.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, and combine evenly.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop about 2 ice cream scoop size balls per muffin cup.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes. Test by inserting a knife in the middle of the muffin, the knife will be dry when done baking (except for any melted chocolaty goodness).
**Make these paleo friendly by subbing in coconut flakes instead of chocolate chips